Saturday, October 18, 2014

Rev. Deacon Heddie Neale

With sadness, we mark the passing of The Rev. Heddie Neale into the next chapter of Life.








Dear brothers and sisters;

We've learned that the memorial service for Heddie Neale is to be held at 3 PM on Sunday Oct 19th at St. Luke's in East Greenwich. A reception will follow at the church and will offer us a time to support each other and Heddie's family.

Clergy who wish to, are invited to vest and process as part of the service. White stoles please.

+Nicholas

--


The Rt. Rev. W. Nicholas Knisely, DD, SOSc

Bishop
The Diocese of Rhode Island

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I find it difficult to write to you this afternoon.  I trust that all of you have heard the news by now, either through the Bishop’s email to the clergy, the newsletter from St. Luke’s or by other means that Heddie Neale died last evening.  Heddie went to be her Lord after a brief illness in the hospital.  I spoke with her daughter this morning, and she informed me that all of her children were able to gather around her.  She also mentioned that Heddie shared “I am ready to go home,” a final witness of the faith that she lived in all of her affairs.

The rain is coming down outside of my windows, and I am wondering if God isn’t shedding a few tears over the loss of one of His beloved deacons.  But I also know that He embraced her mightily as she entered into His eternal kingdom.

I first met Heddie through Cursillo back in the early 80’s, but was reintroduced to her at our School for Deacons when I enrolled.  We became friends quickly, and shared many wonderful memories during our formation process.  I was privileged to have her be one of my presenters at my ordination, and will hold that memory close to my heart.  She was an inspiration and an icon into the true meaning of the Diaconate.  She modeled dedication and commitment to the process as well as the vocation.  I am grateful for all that she did for me, and all that she did for this Diocese and those she served through her ministry.

I have not heard of the funeral arrangements as of this writing, but hope to know soon so we can all try to gather in celebration of a humble, gracious, gentle, and inspiring servant.

Peace be with you, and may light perpetual shine upon Heddie.  We love her and miss her already!

Jan
The Ven. Archdeacon Janice Grinnell

No comments:

Post a Comment