Friday, March 14, 2014

Barbara Mays-Stock: 20 years of Service as a Deacon

(Editor’s note:  Since I write the blog entries, I will write about myself in the first person in this edition.)

This March 20, I will celebrate my 20th anniversary of ordination to the Sacred Order of Deacons.  On April 19, I will also celebrate my 60th birthday, so it seemed a perfect time to write a blog entry about my ministries in the Diocese of Rhode Island.

I was ordained on March 20, 1994.  As a committed lay person, and then as an ordained deacon, I had begun to do Chaplaincy for people whose lives are affected by HIV/AIDS in the late 1980’s.  Our work centered in offering both spiritual and physical help to those afflicted by HIV.  During that time, my work included being a hospital chaplain, as well as working with the State Prison Chaplaincy Department and hospices throughout the state.  I worked with The RI State Council of Churches to establish the AIDS Task Force for the Council, providing monthly services throughout both Christian denominations and in the Jewish and Muslim communities in the state.  This continued to be the focus of my diaconal ministry for over 10 years.  After that, I began working with at-risk families through my work at Head Start, eventually becoming the head of the Statewide Fatherhood Initiative.  Our work brought together family centered non-profit agencies and state agencies that included departments of Education, Taxation, Job Training, and Human Services.  We worked to provide needed education to young fathers, so that they could begin to address their child support arrearages and get back into the lives of their children.  Spiritual components often included special services and safe haven for our patients or parents so that they could re-focus on developing positive relationships. 
As I learned skills in embroidery and sewing, I was able to learn to make fair linen and vestment embellishments, and have, from time to time, offered them in memoriam or as a special gift to parishes.  Also, I was honored to have been asked to make the wedding cake for our now retired bishop, Geralyn and her husband, Tom.

 


More recently, I have focused on gathering people with talents for sewing, knitting and crocheting, especially in parishes, who make infant hats, afghans, quilts, as well as sweaters, scarves and hats for adults in need and in the military.  We have also produced many Prayer Shawls.  I am now, in addition to my on-going fiber arts ministries, helping to develop technology opportunities for our deacons.  I started and run this blog, which provides us and the wider community information about members of our community.  In my time at the Cathedral, I oversaw the website, printed media and the Cathedral newsletter publications, as well as their Social media on the Net.  I am excited to continue to help bring the diocese into a new and helpful era of technology support for their various ministries.

I have served in a variety of parish settings, the most recent being as deacon at The Cathedral of Saint John, until it closed in April of 2012.  Having served at the Cathedral twice as deacon and earlier as a student, a large majority of my ministry occurred while on assignment there. 
One of the most exciting projects that I was able to engage the Cathedral parish in was the making of a story quilt, which, through knowing what the squares mean, helped bring escaped slaves to freedom prior to the Civil War.  This quilt was made and dedicated at The Cathedral, to acknowledge the 200th anniversary of the legal end of allowing the importation of Africans to be sold as slaves in this country.  I truly miss my time and ministry there.

I am currently unassigned in a parish setting.  However, this does not mean that I am not functioning as a deacon in the world!  In addition to the electronic media work mentioned above, I am currently working on "The 60th Year Project," which is the making of 60 quilts for babies at risk, to celebrate my 60th year.  Who says deacons can't have fun with life?!











1 comment:

  1. Blessings to you on your anniversary as a Deacon. You have been a dear and trusted friend for many years. It was always a pleasure to work with you and for you during my employment at Diocesan House and working together on Convention Task Forces. Those sure were some great times.

    ReplyDelete